Sunday, July 25, 2010

September “Scale” Project


First of all, I’d like to sincerely thank, Professor Lisa Randall and Lia Halloran for proposing such a wonderful and stimulating project opportunity for LAAA artists.


As a painter and physics major, I love this idea and find it fascinating. Artists are primarily concerned with relating to visual information and the issues of scale are an inherent part of depicting both internal and external worlds.


My work has definitely been focused on the idea of conceptual space for the past few years and the opportunity to work with other artists and scientists would be thrilling and completely enriching for me.


In a recent series, I explore the relationship of universal space within a 2D surface by experimenting with borders and compositional relations in the work. For example, if a work is contained within its boundaries it appears to be referring to a universal or galactic space - the perceived image becomes infinitely vast. And then conversely, if the images, line or surface extending to the boundaries of the pictorial plain, canvas, or panel it then appears to be referring to things outside of the frame. The space thus appears much smaller and perhaps, I’d suggest, refers more to an internal world.


I find this idea of conceptual boundaries and formal spatial relationships astonishing and creatively stimulating.


In my solo show “Heredity Pour”, at Gallery 825, the attached art work “Titan’s Rorschach” creates a perception of 3D space through paint pours possibly evocative of deep sink holes, galactic hazes, swirling cosmos…a scientist from Irvine university, Dr. Young came to speak with me at the opening about how the work reminded him of looking out into the universe via microscopes. I had been looking down at water bodies during my research through “Google Earth” software. I found the symmetry in these two ways of looking at objects fascinating. Also, an oceanographer from Oceania commented to me on his research, which again lead to stimulating conversation and discourse.


The idea of a collaborative project between scientists and artists is a potentially rich and fertile creative ground. Physics and art both deal with many similar concerns, our thinking has much in common and I’m sure there is much to benefit from this dialogue - I would be honored to be considered for this project.



Felicity Nove

323 440-6404

http://felicitynove.net/


1 comment:

  1. Hi Everyone,

    Please feel free to reach me anytime via the following contact:

    Skype address "giovignone"
    Email Fnove@aol.com
    phone 011 61 40.52.58.173

    Looking forward to the next phase of collaboration!
    FOXO

    ReplyDelete