Monday, July 26, 2010


First, what A unbelievable thing to have Dr. Randall and Lia Halloran share their thoughts and time for this project. As artist and scientists we both question our world and beyond. Asking questions, wondering the "what ifs'" and challenging our own prejudicial thinking to form new ideas; reminding others that there are multiple ways of seeing and there are no absolute truths to being human. As an artist, these are my bedrocks, my reason to create.


My current work involves altering books. Most of the books are vintage and carry the notions of a previous generation. One cannot change history but we can alter its artifacts and possibly their impact. I like to think of it as exposing the inner truths of these objects, not being satisfied with what they appear to represent. Not taking something at its face value and challenging established ideas plays well into my work and would be along the the theme of scale exploration as described by Dr. Randall. My abilities of not just seeing what is there , but what could be there and how it is interpreted would be of value. Within each of my works I've created hidden architectures that not only support the images but add a third dimension to what is usually thought of as flat. This understanding would be helpful where fabrication or the engineering of space might be applied. I have a keenness for detail and precession, as long as it adds to the impact of the idea and is not distracting. My work may be small but it represents the understanding of form, content and artistry that I believe would assist in this project.

It would certainly be an honor to work with Dr. Randall. This is a rare opportunity and my most selfish thoughts revolve around what I might absorb through this process, wether consciously or unconsciously and I hope equally to inspire others with what I may contribute. Many thanks for your consideration,

Sincerely,
Susan Sironi

No comments:

Post a Comment